Will spraying affect smoke alarms?
Spraying will trigger the smoke alarms. Remove smoke alarms and place outside of the spraying area. If removing the smoke alarms is not possible, keep fans in the work area and keep air flowing.
How do I clean my resurfaced area?
Use cleaners that are not abrasive or contain bleach. 409 Cleaner or Dawn Dishwashing Liquid is preferred. Do not leave any soap residue. Cleaner Compatability Study
Are there special precautions that I should take on the resurfaced area?
- Do not cut directly on the resurfaced area, use a cutting board.
- Do not place any hot items on the resurfaced area. Always use a trivet or potholder between hot items and the resurfaced area.
- Do not put any solvents or dyes on the surface. Dyes will stain the coating.
I left a rag on my counter and it left a spot. What can I do to fix it?
Allow the area to dry and the spot should return to normal. If spot does not return to normal after the area is dry, the surface will need to be sanded and resurfaced.
What should I do if there is damage on the resurfaced area?
Call a resurfacing professional as soon as possible or the damage will worsen with time.
I have a leaky faucet, will it damage the resurfaced area?
Yes, a leaky faucet may damage the surface. Call a plumber to fix the leak.
What happens if water lands on the wet resurfaced area?
Use a paper towel to soak the excess water. Dry using air hose and smooth the coated surface.
What do I do if I see particles floating in the resin?
Shake all components well before using.
The caulk is shrinking and is pulling the coating away from the tub. How do I fix this?
If acrylic, then caulk and sand the area, then recoat.
I am removing the masking and the coating is pulling up with the tape. How can I fix the area?
- Stop and use a razor to cut the masking. Mix a small amount of Part A (resin) and Part B (catalyst) and use a paint brush to touch up the area.
- If using StoneFlecks Ultra Multicolor Finish, use a small brush to touch up the area.
It is humid and the masking tape will not stick. What can be done?
Ensure good air flow in the work area. Use Moisture Extractor on the taping area or use a small hair dryer to remove excess moisture.
Why is the coating evaporating so quickly?
Coatings will dry faster at higher temperatures. Use a slower reducer.
Why is the coating drying with a rough texture?
Check the following items:
- Is the spray gun clean? Contaminants may cause irregularities in the spray.
- Is the spray gun set up properly? Make sure the fluid settings are appropriate.
- Is the mix ratio correct? Check the information in the manual to ensure the correct mix ratios were used.
- Was the technique correct? Make sure that coating is sprayed evenly and consistently.
I am out of reducer. What can I do to finish my project?
Call Hawk and ask to speak to one of our technical specialists.
Do you have a troubleshooting quick reference guide?
Are any Hawk topcoats safe for use on food contact surfaces?
Yes! Many of our top coats have been tested by an independent laboratory to be safe for use on food contact surfaces. FDA Compliance Topcoat Study
Do any of Hawk's coatings provide an antimicrobial surface?
The Sterlion™ antimicrobial additive can be incorporated into any topcoat system from Hawk. It is effective at inhibiting the growth of mildew on the coating, prevents discoloration of the coating due to mold, and prevents odor-causing bacteria on the coating. For more information, review Sterlion Antimicrobial Additive Study
Do any Hawk coatings have a flame spread and smoke developed classification?
Yes, an independent third-party laboratory has tested many Hawk Topcoat Systems and rated them with a Flame Spread and Smoke Developed Classification of A or B. For more information, visit Technical Support